Monday July 11, Still on the Wilderness Highway, just east of Saxnas

 

Above the tree line on the plateau.

Woke this morning to a bluebird day, not a cloud in the sky….but a cloud of mosquitoes! And some of the little blighters had snuck in last night and I looked like I had Botox on my eyebrow! They were really thick and in fact didn’t want to go outside this morning. It was so sunny and warm in the van but opted out of opening any windows, even though they have screens.

We continued on the Wilderness Route and it was another day of amazing scenery as we soon climbed above the tree line to about 1000 metres and entered Lapland, and the Stekenjokk Plateau. This section is about 40 kms and still has areas of snow yet to melt, with many streams cascading down. Sadly, I missed the turnoff to the Sami village, which I didn’t realise until much later. No sign of any wildlife either. We dropped down into the forested areas with many lakes and huge rivers and impressive rapids.

By early afternoon we decided after a long day yesterday it would be good to find a camping spot and have a relaxing afternoon enjoying the warm sun, temperatures were up to 19 today. And after a few not so good spots we came across this really nice place and have a prime position overlooking some huge rapids, and have one neighbour tonight. Had a very lazy afternoon, a wee nana nap then sat outside enjoying a warm afternoon and no mosquitoes!

Although the sun sets at 11.15pm and rises at 2.45am here at the moment, it never really gets dark, just a twilight. Thankfully the blinds in the van blackout well!

Really cute VW camper

Dressed for the weather!!

A fully equipped first aid station with stretchers
and medical kit.

 


Tonight's view but the light was not good to get
a good shot, will try again in the morning.


Ruakiwi and fellow camper.





 

Comments

Rainie said…
Wow what amazing scenery with contrasts once above the tree line. Kind of reminds me a little of Alaska scapes. Mossies though, how dare they!!!!
Kiwigran said…
Ouch I hate mozzies ! I have a watch that emits a sound and keeps nozzles away cheap on line!
They love me!!
Too cold here for mossies 😀
What beautiful scenery and I’m still waiting for the fish photo!!
So good you can get off the beaten track 😀😀
Anonymous said…
That northern scenery and your water shots are fabulous Meg. Years ago we visited a Sami village whilst on tour and loved the traditional costumes, embroidery and dancing...I'd pass on the reindeer stew if ever offered again though ; )) Not a patch on your cuisine ! xJen
richardg said…
As Rainie said, that scenery reminds me of parts of Canada. Thos hours of daylight are quite amazing. I thought I might go out to our beach for a sunset photo tonight which will be at 5.18 pm !