Tuesday June 4, Falerna Marina


How could you not spend another day beside this!

Woke this morning to a perfect day, not a cloud in the sky, perfectly calm and with a view directly out to sea, it couldn’t be better. It didn’t take much to make the decision to spend another day here as Ian was still feeling pretty heavy headed with his cold and was quite happy to kick back for the day. Did a few chores then chatted with the chap the runs this camp about getting to the next village to get some bread and a few extras. Using google translate realised that he was offering me a ride in his car, even though it was only 1 1/2kms. Ian decided to stay put so I hitched a ride and he showed me where the produce store was then dropped me off at the little supermarket, calling out to the owner to look out for me. He spoke good English so he was able to tell me that the camp guy would pick me up in half an hour. What a treat, a really traditional local supermarket, full of people, all jabbering away in Italian. The owner was great and explained different foods to me, then he sliced some prosciutto for me and put some olives in a container. They had run out of brown bread but he explained about a potato bread which seemed a good choice. I wandered round the store, trying to take everything in. Really notice how many different varieties of pasta there are, as well as tomatoes, in tins, in bottles and flavoured in as many ways as you could want. 
Then it was off down the road to the produce store, under an exceptionally low railway bridge that I felt I needed to duck to get through, and ogled at all the different products. Impressed with the different varieties of aubergines and tomatoes. Bought some fresh cherries which are just coming into season and a melon then headed off back to meet my driver outside the supermarket.
Ended up getting an “interesting” ride back with a friend of the guy from the camp….and that is a long story that needs to be told over a glass of wine!!!
A very relaxing day, sat outside under the awning for lunch enjoying the goodies I had bought, read my book and for the first time on this trip Ian cooked the meat for dinner on the barbecue. And tomorrow it is off to catch the ferry to Sicily.
Friendly owner of the supermarket.

A small area of the pasta section

The entrance to the supermarket was very "understated"

Don't think Ruakiwi would fit!



A bit of cloud this evening.

Comments

Bugsy Malone said…
Sounds like your weather is improving as ours is deteriorating.Cool that even going to the supermarket is an adventure!
Meg Lipscombe said…
And to think I get them delivered at hone😜
Ed said…
Kia ora Whanau, interesting is a lively adjective, hopefully not distressing as well. From a thousand gangster movies we know Pasta with lovingly stirred sauce is a staple. Pleased to read you have warmed up and dried out, been soggy in Richmond as well. Please have a swim in that glorious looking water. Lots of Love Ed Bright .
Careywood Crew said…
Ooh...can taste those tomatoes from here ; ))
Meg Lipscombe said…
Ed....no, can laugh about it now!!! The water is a little fresher than I need for swimming at the moment!

Jen...and they taste really good.