Monday July 17, St Martin de La Place


Sunset on the Loire

Got the bikes out this morning and we had a wonderful tootle around the village, it is a real historic town. This morning there was no one around, and the only store open was the Tabac, even the boulangerie was closed. Arrived at the Chateau du Loup-sur-Thoet, but the gates were closed. Such a fabulous building which is surrounded by a moat and high wall. Evidently it is open for weddings and functions.
The Chateau in the village. Quite magnificent.

..and the moat.

A tootle around a very sleepy town.




I smiled - not sure what the significance was!

The temperatures were climbing by the time we left and saw that we are in for a few hot days with temps over 30. Maybe starting to get used to it a little! Needed to quite a restock so stopped at the Super U in the nearby town of Airvault. I was just starting on my long list when I noticed they dimmed the lights, and a message in French came over the speakers..which I couldn’t understand but suspected they may well be closing for lunch. Sure enough, I asked the guy at the butchery counter…Fermez? And he replied “Oui”, then pointed at his watch to say 12.30pm. It was 12.20 so did a speed shop and got a few things for lunch and left the rest. This is the first supermarket in France that we have seen close for lunch.
Stopped on the road and had a lunch then found another supermarket and finished my shopping, felt I had spent all day doing my groceries! We continued North to Saumur and crossed the river to and onto St Martin de La Place. A couple we met earlier had stayed at this campsite on the edge of the river and by the bike trails and we decided we were getting soft and needed power so that we could run the Air con while it is so hot.
It is a very nice camp, and has washing machines so that I can catch up on my laundry. No drier so will wash the sheets in the morning and air dry them. Have a nice spot under the trees, no chance of a river front spot as it is very full.
The Roud-a-bout coming into Loire. Celebrating
their vines and wineries. 

Night on the Loire

Comments