Thursday August 18, Magdeberg

The Hundertwasser building.

And happy 18th birthday to Granddaughter Keely, sorry to once again miss your birthday!

Last night was extremely hot but a bit cooler this morning with a cloud cover, making our town visit very pleasant. Magdeberg is not a tourist destination, but we found it very enjoyable to wonder around without battling crowds of people. Wandered through a market in the town square before some much needed shopping. My watch that I bought in the states many years ago, finally gave up several weeks ago and as the strap was also on its last legs and couldn’t be replaced decided it was time for a replacement. I have really been missing it but decided to wait to shop for it in Germany, today was the day. Found a very big department store that had a huge selection, and after much looking found the one. Very happy to have it on my wrist. The other urgent need was a haircut, and was directed to a large rather upmarket mall where I was able to get an appointment for 1.30, big relief.

Set off meandering around the streets, there is certainly some interesting architecture in the town, but the highlight for me was the very eye catching Gruene Zitadelle, with its curvy, zany form, the distinctive work of the architect Hundertwasser. This was his last building before his death in 2005 and was completed 5 years later. I just loved it, the colours, the pottery balls and the immense size making it hard to get a good photograph. It houses a hotel, shops and cafes and apartments. Just so different from the rather bland architecture around it.

There are several big churches that were from the 1300’s that were sadly bombed during the war, but have been rebuilt. I still struggle to comprehend the devastation of the war then the Russian Occupation in this area. And you look at the older residents who probably were here during that time.  

We found a good traditional German Restaurant with tables on the street and thoroughly enjoyed people watching and a really nice schnitzel with sauerkraut.

Ian wandered back to the motorhome while I checked out some shops before my haircut. Very pleased with the job the girl did, she spoke no English but another hairdresser did so he interpreted and explained to the girl what I wanted.  After the hassles the other day trying to find a hairdresser this was great. I am learning that I need cash in my wallet, they didn’t take cards, nor the lunch place. After two months in Scandinavia only using a card, it takes some getting used to.

Also noticed today the number of people wearing masks, would have been well over 50%, compared to seeing none for so long. Not sure if there is a lot of Covid here or why.

Finding we are really getting through our data cards that I bought in UK, and tried to get hold of some in Germany. Called into a store today and they couldn’t supply me with any as I don’t have a German address. Will have to watch carefully what we are using.  





 
Hopefully this haircut will last till we
get home!

Our waitress for lunch.


Comments

Bugsy Malone said…
What a cool building. Haircut looks great, think providence was looking after you when you couldn't get it done the other day🙏
Bugsy Malone said…
Could you use Connie & Hittens address to get some data?
Rainie said…
Spunky hair doo Meg……and the pink building is indeed crazy wonkiness….and very funky cool.