Monday August 15, Wittenberge

A barge on the very low Elbe River.

Another hot day in Wittenberge, but as I am writing this, we have had thunder for the last hour, then huge winds and now some rain is falling, but not a huge amount. Sitting inside and have turned the aircon on for the first time and it is cooling us down nicely. Still having issues with internet, so haven’t loaded yesterdays blog yet.

At this site, you pay extra to do you emptying and filling, and the harbourmaster comes twice a day and unlocks the facility. So, at 8 o’clock this morning we did the ablutions before breakfast.

Headed into Lidl to restock the pantry and spotted a Mercedes agency next door. Several times on our trip we add some engine oil, and have always used the Mercedes oil specific to this vehicle. Needed to get another 2 litres so popped in….and an hour later we left!!! What a rigmarole, the girl handling it spoke no English, and it also appeared that she was very new to the job. We had to get all the papers for the vehicle from the safe and she then set to “setting” up our vehicle in their system. She kept writing in Google translate with more and more questions, and by this stage I was getting a little frustrated especially as it was so hot and there was no air con. I wanted to ask her why she needed all this as we only wanted to buy some oil!!! But I kept my cool, just!!! Finally, we paid the money and left…with our 2 litres of oil.

Parked back at the marina, and after lunch I decided to walk into town as desperately need a hair cut, it is almost 3 months since I had it cut really short before we left NZ. Checked with google and it was a 14 minute walk to town, put my hat on and set off, it was at least 30 degrees, just so hot, but I was determined to see if I could get it cut. Finally got to town and found two hairdressers were shut and the one that was open couldn’t fit me in today or tomorrow. Nothing for it but to head home, bought a large bottle of water as by this stage I was really feeling the effects of the heat. It was a slow trip back, stopping wherever I found a seat in the shade. Ended up hopping in a cold shower when I got back to the van!!! All in all, a very frustrating day. 

A horse drawn wagon arrived and set up down
by the river, evidently they are doing a long trip
along the river. The horses were in a pen in grass
down by the river. An interesting set up.

 

A few images from my walk into town.

This old building, a relic from the Cold War.



A very interesting sculpture.

Comments

Vicki Bright said…
Forty Four Autumns by Nina Willner is an excellent novel about a family who lived in East Germany from when it was created. I knew the history but this book made the history personal. It is a true recount.
Edward Bright said…
Kia ora Meg n Ian, I cannot get a haircut from the Gals in Richmond, they work Saturday and have Mondays off, Sam suggested I could go for growing a proper Mullet, not likely. Been home a week and delighted to be here, the weather forecasters are promising us a lot of rain in the next 2 days, fortunately the roof here works fine. You are both clever with your current location, getting a full pond or two doesn't require a long walk. Please keep showing us all the less solubrious parts of your adventures. Love Ed
Rainie said…
Gawd, you really are having a time of it. How is Ian with the sisssors?
Bugsy Malone said…
Probably best that the hairdressers were shut, I'm not sure what kind of haircut you would have ended up with!