Friday July 30, Hope, AK




Today has been one of those totally unforgettable days! We spent six hours out on the 80 foot catamaran, The Orca Voyager. The first two hours were amazing and then the big sea came and the remaining four hours I was one very sick puppy. That has finished it for me, never ever will I go out again in a boat on the ocean! I was feeling so positive that I would manage this time, the boat was a good size and I had put the oil behind my ears, but nothing worked. Mind you the sea got extremely rough and there were many others using “little bags” as well! Just have to say it was such a great feeling to arrive back in the boat harbour.
The day had started off very calm as we cruised out of Ressurection Bay, watching a multitude of wildlife and we had a great commentary from the skipper. I have fallen in love with the little sea otters and it was great to see them from higher up, but the favourite were the little puffins with there bright orange beaks and sharply defined white faces. They were much smaller than I imagined. Then there were the bald eagles and the dall sheep high up on the cliff faces. There was a colony of seals basking on a rock, quite a sight, and multitudes of sea birds nesting on the rocky faces…the smell was not particularly pleasant! 
We hit the Pacific and the Gulf of Alaska and the seas were getting quite big, but I was fine and then we started seeing whales…wow what a sight as they leaped out of the water and flapped their tails and fins. Hard to get photos as the boat was moving so much though. Then the malais hit me and that was the end for me.
The boat continued on stopping at times watching the whales then through some extremely rough ocean, in fact there was a storm coming in. It continued up into some calmer waters to what was the highlight, the Aialik Glacier. I managed to get outside and have a look for awhile, the turquoise colour and the sounds of the ice creaking and cracking and then huge hunks dropping into the sea was stunning. But there was no way I could even get the camera out and take photos, but Ian managed admirably to record the amazing sight.
By now the rain had come and it was extremely cold and we headed back to the harbour.
It was a great relief to get back onto dry land. Had a hot cuppa and as I was feeling much better decided to make the drive back up to Hope for the night.
We had been here on the way down the Kenai and enjoyed it so much that wanted to come back. Ian bought a cheap pair of waders ($20) and is planning on fishing the river beside the camp.

Comments