Tuesday Aug 9, Port Orford, OR

It has been quite a busy week and both of us were feeling quite jaded this morning. Decided we needed some rest time and set off up the coast this morning to find a campsite where we could relax and enjoy ocean views.

A very clear blue sky and about 20 degrees, suits us perfectly.

It is an absolutely beautiful coastline, wild and rugged with rocky islands jutting out of the sea. Much of the coastline is in state parks so the wilderness has been preserved but there is still plenty of access to the coast.

An onshore wind got up and the ocean was full of white caps, the wind was making driving a bit testing. Stopped at Gold Beach where the Rogue River joins the Pacific, there was quite a large marina in a very sheltered harbour.

We checked out a number of campsites and State Parks, but they seemed to be away from the coast and didn’t feel like you were on the coast.

Drove out to Cape Blanco, the most westerly point in the Lower 49 US, it was really exposed but an amazing view, a good lunch stop.

When we got fuel in Port Orford we commented on the wind, the girl said that was normal, else you got fog! Also interesting, you are by law not allowed to pour your own fuel in Oregon. You have to wait for the attendant to swipe your card and pump the gas….the only state we have found to be like this.

Drove down to the port as Ian had read that is was one of only 6 “dolly” ports in the world where boats are hoisted in and out of the water daily. Fascinating to see all the fishing boats on trailers on a concrete wharf with two cranes used to lower them into the sea.


As we drove in there was a parking area with a sign that you could overnight park without facilities for $10. It overlooked the port and the ocean with a nice sandy beach and very quiet. Seemed like a great place to stay, and so far can’t find anyone to pay!

There is a quaint little fish cafĂ© on the wharf called Grif’s on The Dock, seemed to be a good idea to visit for a meal tonight. It was really tiny, but had great atmosphere, only 3 other guys there and they all chatted with us suggesting places we should visit on the Oregon Coast. Really simple but good fresh fish, and loved watching the last of the sun set over the ocean. We meandered through the boats on the wharf back to Ruakiwi tonight, feeling really laid back. One other camper is staying here tonight.

I have to add that I spent close on two hours this afternoon organising our flights back to San Francisco from Seattle for our return in September. I always book the internal flights online with Travelocity and have had no trouble previously, but for some reason I tried twice to book the flight but got the message back that it could not confirm and to redo. So I rang the online number….wrong move. Got an Indian “Gentleman” and spent an hour trying to get him to do the booking….I couldn’t understand him, and he couldn’t understand me. I had to pay an extra fee to use him as an agent rather than online, but we finally got through and booked the flights. But after 2 hours, still no confirmation email of the flights. He had given me the flight confirmation numbers so rang again, and finally spoke to someone speaking “close to English”, our flights were booked, but he had written the wrong email address for me! Got it changed and while I was still talking to a “person” I checked the details only to find that he had given me two middle names…Anne Anne!!! Hard to believe. As it wouldn’t agree with my passport, we had to cancel those flights (they couldn’t just change the details!) and get the money refunded to the credit card, then rebook….only to find after another 30 minutes on the phone, the flight was completely booked out!!!! I was trying hard to be patient, Ian said that it is not one of my strong points!!!. The guy was very good and said they would deduct their booking fee and finally he got us on a slightly earlier flight! I needed a drink tonight! All the while Ian was quietly reading his book.

Comments

Kelly Woods said…
Hehehehe.....sorry I am snickering, but I had an almost identical conversations with an airline representative in the week before we left for Maine. He couldn't speak English clearly enough for me to understand and by the time we booked the tickets, he supposedly had locked in for me, the flight was booked solid! LOL Cannot believe you were telling my story! I am sitting here laughing uncontrollably. Daughter Jordan thinks I have lost my mind I am sure!!! Dana's comment the night of the phone call was similar to that of Ian's, patience is not my strong suit when you have really frustrated me! Why english speaking countries use foreign companies for their customer service is beyond my comprehension when I am mad as a hornet! Of course, when I calm down I am aware it is all about the dollar, but if I am paying for the service, I want someone who speaks english clearly! And they are always so polite! What is with all of that well mannered talk? Yes thank you, please, I hope you have a lovely evening...when that is all I can understand, I wish you wouldn't use your manners! LOL Sorry, I just thought you would appreciate knowing, you're not alone! Have a wonderful end to your trip! SO enjoy your beautiful pictures and your funny story telling! Kelly